Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pregnancy Insomnia

     There's a lot of information and discussion on heartburn, fatigue, diet, exercise, and rest while pregnant but not a lot of talk about pregnancy insomnia. I started to experience insomnia a month into my third trimester. It was horrible. I experienced difficulty falling asleep and when I did, I couldn't sleep longer than two hours. Once awaken, it would take at least three hours to fall back asleep.

     I spoke to my OB/GYN about this problem and her only suggestion was to try my best to suffer through it. Believe me, those were not the words I wanted to hear. I wanted something that was going to knock me out! But most medications that would normally be appropriate for this condition are unsafe for pregnant women. The closest sleep aid medication suggested during pregnancy is Benadryl. But even Benadryl should be used with caution. 

     I didn't experience this with my first pregnancy. In fact, I was tired all of the time. I was seriously in love with my bed. But every pregnancy is different. I wanted to share some helpful information about pregnancy insomnia for my fellow sufferers.


     General Information:
     What is pregnancy insomnia? Inability to fall or stay asleep,
     especially in the third trimester of pregnancy.

      What causes pregnancy insomnia? A complicated combination
     of hormones and a number of unhelpful conditions, such as frequent
     urination, persistent heartburn, leg cramps, and pre-birth anxiety
     can all cause difficulty sleeping during pregnancy.

     What are some ways to cope with insomnia? Warm milk or tea,
     relaxing bath, peaceful music, or reading a book.


     To be honest, none of these suggestions worked for me. I decided to make the best of a bad situation.  Instead of staring into the darkness, I decided to be as productive as possible when awake. I made sure I had activities and projects on hand so I had something to do to keep me busy. Go to "What to Expect" for more information. www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/insomnia.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment