Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Truth About Labor Pains

     It has been said, "No two pregnancies are the same." The same can be said about labor. The births of my two sons were completely different. For the most part, I knew I was going into labor with my oldest James. The entire process was slow and predictable. Not so much with Jase. I realized my false labor pains (Braxton Hicks) were real once the contractions were 2 minutes apart for 45 seconds each. Consequently, what should have been a casual 20 minute drive to the hospital became a 10 minute high speed race. I was dilated 4 centimeters when I arrived and quickly jumped to 7 centimeters 30 minutes later.

     The contractions were excruciating. It was as if each one was competing with the previous one for personal best. I felt like I was dying!!! It was at this moment that I began to say my goodbyes to my husband. The little baby inside of me was trying to rip its way out and there was no way I was going to survive it or I was going to die of a heart attack. My only chance was an epidural which seemed unlikely because I was dilating too fast. The nurse assured me the anesthesiologist was coming, but he wasn't moving fast enough for me. After one of the most intense contractions, I begged my husband to find the doctor. Just as my husband was getting up, the anesthesiologist strolled into the room.

     As I reflect on both of my son's births, experience has taught me that two seemingly similar situations can yield two completely different outcomes. This truth goes beyond childbirth but applies to whatever life may hand you. That being said, all we can do is face every situation with an open mind and be prepared to expect the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment