Sunday, October 13, 2013

Update on Operation Baby Clothes

The past few days have been really crazy preparing for the baby shower. Now that it's over, I'm finally getting around to posting the pictures of the boy's new closet. I'm a firm believer of making the best of what you have. For those of you that are working with a limited space, its going to take more creativity and work consolidating everything.

5 Steps to Organizing Your Closet
1. Purge, purge, purge - Before you begin adding items (clothes, shoes, etc) you should eliminate items that you are no longer using or may take up too much space. I removed all the clothes that my four year old son grew out of and packed them up.

2. Try not to shuffle clutter - If you're no longer using it, give it away. There's always someone or some organization that might benefit from your items. In my case, I'm giving it to my three year old nephew. Moving clutter around from one room to another just creates another room that you're eventually going to have to organize. Giving it away also prevents the item from somehow creeping back into your closet...lol!

3. Separate items according to type - For example, you can sort your clothes according to color or style (dresses, tank tops, sweaters, etc...) Personally, I have tried both ways and like organizing my clothes and shoes according to style. I separated the baby clothes according to size (0-3 months, 3-6 months, etc...) and according to style (shorts, pants, pajamas)

4. Utilize storage and organizational products - I recommend going on Google Images and perform a search on closet organizational and storage products. This is a good way to visualize what setup you want for your closet and what products might help you achieve your organizational goals.

   I went to Target and purchased two items:
  • Double hang bar from "Threshold" - The double-hang closet organizer increases the hanging space in your closet. I would not have had enough space to hang the baby clothes without it. 
  • Plastic storage bins -  Plastic storage bins are an affordable alternative to wooden dressers. I purchased the bins with wheels just in case I wanted to roll them around the house on laundry day.  
5. Don't be afraid to improvise - Look around your house to see what you have that might be useful.
I used an oversized basket as a storage for my son's hats and gloves. I also used safety pins to adjust the height on the double hang bar. If you're going to hang heavier items, then you'll need something stronger than safety pins, but since baby clothes are light, it worked out :)








 
 

Lynk Closet Doubler Double Hang Rod, White Sterilite 29308001 3-Drawer Wide Cart with See-Through Drawers and Black Casters, White

No comments:

Post a Comment