Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Matter of Perception

     I woke up today feeling defeated. I felt lost, drained and just plain tired. I forgot how exhausting it is to care for a newborn. Between the feedings, diaper changes, and periodic checks to see if they're still breathing, I find myself going a little crazy. In one hand, I'm completely in love with everything about my son but on another hand, I find myself wishing he didn't need me so much.
     As I sit here at noon in my pajamas in full reflection, I'm reminded of the age old adage, "A mothers work is never done." And then it hits me. That's it...that's what's wrong!! I'm viewing my service to my child as work. As true as that statement is, its terribly one sided. Yes, motherhood is hard and yes it requires a great deal of work at times. But if my only perception is work, then that thought process will assuredly lead to frustration. With every good job, there is a defined work schedule, duties, and salary. But with motherhood, the schedule is always, the duties are extensive, and there is no salary.
     The adage, "A mothers love is never ending" is more applicable to my service for my child(ren). It is love, and only love, that will allow me to go over and above the call of duty, work without rest or repayment.  Love will allow me to view my duties as acts of love, even when my service leaves me in my pajamas at noon!

No comments:

Post a Comment