Tuesday, December 30, 2014

DJ Turntable Grooms Cake

I was recently asked to make a turntable for a groom's cake. I was given two pictures by the bride and was told to do what I thought was best. This is when my imagination began to get away from me. I began to do some research and noticed that most of the cakes I saw were fairly simple or extremely detailed. After looking at more than one hundred cakes, yes I said one hundred, I still wasn't satisfied with any of the designs I came across. I realized that I wanted something that really came to life. That's when I decided to see if I could make the cake spin (manually of course) and light up. I have to admit, I was pretty excited when I saw the finished product and I wanted to share it with you guys.


Tools needed: 
Two 5" Round cake boards
Black 1/2 sheet cake board (wrapped)
Two Flower nails
Black and White Fondant
Silver Cake Spray
One Straw
LED lights (battery operated)
Black Marker (edible or permanent)
Wax paper


Directions
Place sheet cake on the black cake board and frost. Completely cover 11" x 15" frosted sheet cake with black fondant. Cut two big circle shapes out of white fondant, using the 5" circle cake boards as a guide. Place fondant circles directly on top of each cake board and spray silver. Place the flower nail through each one. Once dry, cover the metal flower head with black fondant and write on the CD's with the edible / permanent marker if desired. Insert the straw into the area of cake where you want the CD's and then cut slightly higher than the cake. Remove piece and use as guide to cut a second piece of equal length. Put both pieces of cut straw back into the cake and insert each flower nail into the center of the straw. Outline each CD with a fondant border. Now on to the light switch. Puncture 10 holes into a piece of thin cardboard (around 4"x3") and taped LED lights inside.  Once finished, staple the boarder close and make sure not to puncture the cord of the LED lights!!




Cut out a piece of white fondant slightly larger than the cardboard and then make ten holes. Cover the light switch board in fondant and then sprayed silver. Once dry, place on the cake where desired. To make the second smaller light, cover a small LED with wax paper (the wax paper gives the appearance of plastic clear cover) and gently press into the cake where desired. Then make a fondant cover top. Decorate the rest of the cake as desired. I chose to make turn knobs and volume switches.

Check out my YouTube video for further instructions. Have fun and happy caking!! 


                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment