Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Chocolate Crusting Buttercream

I've received some requests to post the chocolate crusting buttercream recipe that I use when I decorate my cakes. I used chocolate buttercream in the "How to Make a Quick and Easy Camouflage Cake" tutorial I posted on my blog and on YouTube. I tend to use Chocolate Buttercream whenever I need black frosting because I don't have to add as much black dye as I would if I used vanilla / white frosting. Believe me, it takes a lot, I mean a lot of black dye to get white icing the perfect shade of black. And if you achieve that dark, rich shade of black that you want, there usually is a lingering after taste which is not good. As a decorator and as a baker, you always want a perfect balance between taste and appearance.






Chocolate Crusting Buttercream Recipe
1/2 cup of vegetable shortening
1/2 cup of butter
3/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or madagascar bourbon vanilla
4 cups of sifted powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
3-4 tablespoons of milk or water

Will yield around  3 cups of icing...stiff consistency.
Add 6-7 tablespoons of milk to get medium consistency.

Directions:
In large bowl, mix shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add cocoa and vanilla extract, then gradually add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Beat well on medium speed. Icing will appear dry and crumbly. Add milk or water and beat at medium speed until icing is fluffy. Any additional milk or water should be added one tablespoon at a time, until you achieve the consistency that you want.

2 comments: